As a special project, PNNMP has undertaken to help stabilize Rochester House, an original 1746 building in Westmoreland County near Lyells that is listed on both the Virginia and the National Historic Registers. This tiny 16 x 20 foot building with a huge chimney was built by William Rochester on land which had been in his family from 1689. The value of the house is that it is virtually untouched since the date of its building and a renovation in about 1800 after the Rochester family sold the property. Rochester House is a living museum which displays its construction as well as the life style of a middle class 18th Century Northern Neck family.
PNNMP first undertook to install new siding on one exterior wall, thanks to a donation of wood by Northern Neck Lumber of Warsaw and labor by Eagle River Construction Company of Lottsburg. Next, a special annual grant was made to Dennis W. Gallagher, Jr., of Richmond County, who recently purchased the building from the former owner, Ms. Agnes Andrews. The purpose of the grant is to fund further efforts to stabilize and preserve the building. In the picture below, Ms. Andrews is shown presenting numerous Native American and Colonial artifacts found on the property to Mr. Gallagher.
Read more about the history of Rochester House and the Rochester Family HERE.